The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) was formally established under Presidential Decree 1060 on 9 December 1976. With the promulgation of Republic Act (RA) 7157, or the Philippine Foreign Service Act of 1991, the mandate of the Institute was revitalized and expanded. Title VIII–Foreign Service Institute, Section 57, of RA 7157 states the functions of the FSI as follows:
“The Institute, through its academic, training, research, information, publication, systems development and other programs, shall serve as the center for the development and professionalization of the career corps of the foreign service of the Department and other government agencies which have offices and employees assigned abroad. It shall maintain a Center of International Relations and Strategic Studies (CIRSS) and shall otherwise function as a research institution on issues and problems with foreign policy implications, global and regional strategies and management of foreign affairs while serving as institutional consultant of the Department on matters related to foreign policies and programs as well as development management, planning, review and evaluation processes in the Department. The Institute shall, inter alia, pursue a training program for those who are leaving for foreign assignments and for those who are recalled and shall hold seminars, including language courses, to prepare such officers and employees for their new assignments.”
The Institute thus designs and conducts training programs appropriate to the needs of personnel of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and those of other government agencies who will be assigned to Philippine foreign service posts. It undertakes independent research on issues relevant to international relations and foreign policy as well as policy studies in aid of foreign policy formulation, management, and evaluation. It also provides institutional support to the DFA with regard to organizational development and management, including but not limited to the planning, review, and assessment of the policies and systems and procedures of the Department.
The Foreign Service Institute develops foreign service competencies through responsive learning and development programs, and strengthens foreign policy through relevant, insightful, and timely research support.
By 2026, FSI will be among the leading institutions in Asia for diplomatic training and foreign policy research.
Integrity, Patriotism, Excellence, professionalism, Dedication
Pursuant to Presidential Decree 1060, the Board of the Foreign Service Institute is the governing body of the Institute. It is composed of:
Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Chairperson of the Civil Service Commission
President of the University of the Philippines
President of the Development Academy of the Philippines
Director-General of the Foreign Service Institute
The Institute is headed by a full-time Director-General who is seconded from the Senior Chiefs of Mission in the career foreign service corps. The Director-General also holds the title of Assistant Secretary. The Deputy Director-General, who ranks next to the Director-General, is chosen from the academic community to provide technical assistance to the Institute and its programs. Both are appointed by the President upon recommendation by the Board of the Foreign Service Institute.
The Institute is composed of three major divisions, namely:
- Carlos P. Romulo School of Diplomacy (CPRSD)
- Center for International Relations and Strategic Studies (CIRSS)
- Administrative and Financial Services Division (AFSD)
Overall management and control of these three major divisions is the responsibility of the Office of the Director-General (ODG), supported by the following sections: Carlos P. Romulo Library, Publications Section, and Institutional Linkages Unit.